I don't really make resolutions as such any more; I never stick to them (currently listing loads of running clothes that I bought when I planned to become a regular runner. Everything still has labels on) so I've decided that instead I'm just going to make plans for the year instead. Plans are the more flexible, friendlier relative of resolutions; they can be changed, moved or postponed with no guilt whatsoever - so while I'm planning to do some yoga at some point, it'll be totally fine if I put it off for a while and sit on the sofa eating biscuits instead. Genius.
I've made a new Pinterest board to keep track of all the things I want to do, which range from learning ancient craft skills to visiting places I've never been to before. The ones I'm most looking forward to are:
- Finally learning to sew properly. At the moment, I can make an envelope cushion cover, bunting and, err, that's it. I want to be able to whip up tops and dresses, clothes for the kiddos and proper cushion covers with actual zips. I want to be able to nod sagely when someone talks about the benefits of different feet for your sewing machine, and to easily pleat, dart and seam my way through patterns. I do not want to have to cross my fingers whenever I press my foot down on the pedal, nor do I want to spend hours swearing at the machine when it chews up yet another length of my best fabric.
- 2015 is going to be the year that I master knitting. It is, it is, it IS. I realise that I've said this every year for the past three years, but this year it's going to be different. Because my God, if it kills me, SOMEONE will be getting a scarf for Christmas next year.
- I wrote an article a while back on lost crafts for Pretty Nostalgic magazine, and ever since then I've been fascinated by ancient and traditional craft skills - you know; dry stone walling, making wooden spoons and that sort of thing. One thing that I keep reading about is basket weaving though, so I'd really love to have a go at that - even if only to stop me having to buy so many of the things from IKEA.
- I want 2015 to be the year that we really embrace visiting places around the UK that we've never been to before; we're planning a trip to Cornwall in the summer, and various little weekends and overnights to places like Yorkshire, Cumbria and Wales. Oh, and I am desperate to visit Bristol!
- I need to learn to cook properly this year; I don't want to just recycle the same pasta-pizza-bolognese-shepherds-pie routine over and over again for the rest of my life. It's boring to eat and I'm bored of cooking it - I'm thinking that maybe starting with some decent utensils might help. Mostly because I've melted all of our plastic ones.
To see what else I'm planning, check out my New Year, New Plans board over on Pinterest; I think of things I want to have a go at almost every day, so it's pretty regularly updated!
Follow Victoria Haynes: The Owl and the Accordion's board New Year, New Plans: Things to Do 2015 on Pinterest.
Image Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10